Monday, April 11, 2011

Ngige won, says INEC returning officer

•’I was under pressure to declare Akunyili winner’ •Ngige kicks

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) returning officer/collation officer in Anambra Central Senatorial District, Alex Anene, has alleged that his life is in danger.

He claimed that he is being pursued by All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) officials and the state government because he refused the offer of N10million, a duplex and a car to announce the result in favour of APGA candidate Prof Dora Akunyili.

He said he was quitting the job because his conscience would not allow him to announce a mutilated result.

He said the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) candidate, Dr Chris Ngige, won the election convincingly and not Akunyili.

"They promised to provide me with a car, N10million cash, and to build a duplex for me, but my conscience has been pricking me.

"They have threatened to kill me, they have rough-handled me, this people want to kill me, and right now I can not go back to my home."

The man said he had a right to reject any result that is not properly documented according to the Electoral Act.

These results, according to him, from Njikoka were mutilated and that was why I rejected them, adding that government officials were after him.

Ngige has petitioned INEC to cancel the election result in Anaocha council area.

Ngige, who was at the INEC office yesterday, said before the "manipulation" of the result which gave 22,000 votes to Prof. Akunyili, he was leading with 15,000 votes.

"I am preaching peace but if this result should bring war in Anambra State, I will go for it in full force," Ngige said.

He alleged that ACN agents were arrested and detained by APGA agents on the orders of Akunyili "and her cohorts", adding that he would petition INEC Chairman Prof. Attahiru Jega.

The petition was addressed to the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Prof. Chukwuemeka Onukogu.

Ngige’s petition, entitled Re: Electoral malpractices at Aguluzuigbo, Agulu, Obeledu and Adazi Nnukwu, was received by Anene.

Ngige requested for the reinstatement of his result at Umunachi Ward 1 in Dunukofia council area.

He alleged that there was an alteration in the result sheet by the PDP candidate for the House of Representatives.

Mrs. Akunyili, who also visited the INEC office, refused to talk to reporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment